We’ve been preaching the value of using video in your dental marketing strategy for a while now, and it’s clear video is here to stay. Check out these 2017 video marketing statistics:
- Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users.
- 51.9% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI.
- 43% of people want to see more video content from marketers.
- 4X as many customers would rather watch a video about a product than read about it.
Don’t be overwhelmed – shooting your own brief DIY smartphone video is easier than ever. And when I say brief, I mean it – nearly two-thirds of consumers prefer video under 60 seconds. (Source) Armed with a smartphone and a couple of inexpensive tools, you can become a video marketing pro in no time!
Two products to create your own DIY smartphone video
When we headed to Arizona for AADOM’s Dental Management Conference, we knew we wanted to try to shoot a few video testimonials with clients. Knowing we’d be using our trusty iPhones for the videos, we had a few requirements:
- We needed items that are lightweight and wouldn’t take up too much room in our luggage.
- We knew we’d have small windows of time to record, so we needed items easy to set up.
- I wanted something SIMPLE – I didn’t want to have to download and figure out a specific app to use.
- We needed the people who were talking to be heard clearly, even with background noise.
- We weren’t sure where we’d record, so we needed a flexible tripod that could be steady even if the surface was uneven.
After researching a few options on Amazon, we decided on two simple tools to help us shoot our DIY smartphone videos. Here are our honest reviews of each.
We ended up choosing the Saramonic SmartMic Mini Flexible Condenser Microphone. This mic is super simple to use – we simply plugged it into the phone, pointed it toward the people we were videoing (it swivels!), and recorded as usual. That was it! No special apps to download or additional equipment needed. It definitely improved upon just using the phone itself.
The mic does have a little foam buffer, and they claim this minimizes surrounding noise. We found that it still picked up extra noise, BUT you can definitely hear the person speaking even despite that.
Overall, the SmartMic Mini Flexible Condenser Microphone fit all of our needs, was small and easy to transport, improved the quality of our videos, and was well worth the $19.95 price tag.
Watch this brief clip to check out the sound quality and keep in mind we were outside at a bustling resort – there was noise nearby but it’s still very easy to hear Shannon and Christi speak.
We also chose to order the UBeesize Portable and Adjustable Tripod to keep the phone steady while filming. It was simple to assemble and held an iPhone 7 snugly and securely. Its flexible feet can be contorted into a variety of positions, so you have a lot of control, even on uneven surfaces. The tripod came with a small carrying bag (which was super handy since we needed to be able to grab it and go) and also included a bluetooth remote.
You can see in the photo above how small the tripod is, which was a huge plus for us. It’s lightweight, easy to toss in a bag and take anywhere!
Dental marketing video ideas and pro tips
There’s no need to be intimidated by DIY smartphone video! With a couple of simple and inexpensive tools (the mic and tripod together cost less than $35), it’s easy to create your own dental marketing videos. Here are a few ideas for dental videos your patients are going to love:
- Interview the doctor
- Demonstrate how to floss properly
- Share a product review of your favorite toothbrush
- Ask a patient to share a few brief remarks about their experience
Finally, here are a few tips to keep the videos natural:
- Choose a quiet, well-lit area and speak loud enough for the microphone to pick up your voice.
- Remember this is not an infomercial, so loosen up and smile often!
- It’s okay to have notes, but try to speak from the heart and not look down too much.
- Sit comfortably, use your hands when explaining, and imagine you are speaking to a close friend behind the camera lens.
All in all, remember to HAVE FUN! Patients love to see the “human side” of their dental team. Be yourselves and showcase the fun personality and caring atmosphere of the practice. Share your videos on social media and remember to also upload and optimize them on your YouTube channel for SEO benefits (if you’re not sure how to optimize your own videos, here are some easy instructions).
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases on amazon.com. Rest assured, the opinions expressed here are 100% our own! If we recommend a product, it’s because we tried it out ourselves and loved it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.