30 Ways to Support Your Local Community
What’s more powerful than a close-knit community? Supporting and being a part of that close-knit community!
Besides the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing you’re doing something good for your neighbors, getting involved in community events, local fun, charities, food drives, and other important causes is an effective marketing opportunity. Community involvement and sponsorship marketing often results in:
- Increased word-of-mouth referrals
- Quality linking opportunities
- Connecting directly with potential new customers
- Increased brand awareness in your local area
- More quality content to share on social media and your blog
Whether you’re a dental practice or other small business, there are so many ways you can get involved and support your local friends and neighbors. Here are 30 community involvement ideas to get you started!
Community involvement ideas for dental practices
Charity + fundraising
1. Volunteer at a local animal shelter
2. Hold a bake sale for a local charity
3. Hold a car wash for a local cause
4. Host a free dentistry event like Dentistry From the Heart
5. Offer free dentistry at a local homeless shelter or nursing home
6. Hold a canned or pet food drive at the practice
7. Host a winter clothing drive at the practice
8. Support farmers market and local festivals
9. Have your team participate in trivia night at a local restaurant or pub
10. Support or plan a neighborhood/block party
11. Participate in a local parade
12. Adopt a highway
13. Participate in a park clean-up day
14. Sponsor a cancer awareness event
15. Train for and run a 5, 10, or 15K for a good cause as a team
Support local organizations
According to Inc.com, “Supporting a good cause not only provides businesses with convenient advertising, it also creates positive publicity that encourages potential customers to choose your business over not-so-generous competitors.” These are powerful reasons to consider sponsoring local causes and organizations!
16. Coach or sponsor a local sports team
17. Sponsor or participate in a charity golf tournament
18. Be interviewed on a local radio station program
19. Attend local town or city council meetings
20. Visit local schools and educate about dental health
21. Visit and speak at a nearby dental school
22. Host a Halloween candy buy-back program
23. Host a holiday party for neighboring businesses
24. Host a Christmas gift drive
25. Host an Easter egg hunt
Use your website + social media to support your local community
26. Share links to upcoming local events on social media
27. Create and regularly update a “calendar of events” page on your website
28. Post about people making a difference in your community on your social media and blog
29. Promote other local businesses on your social media and blog
30. Share links to important causes and charities on your website, blog, or social media
As you can see, community involvement doesn’t have to be a chore – there are so many fun ways you and your team can get involved and have fun in the process! Plus, there are natural and valuable marketing, promotion, referral, and linking opportunities that come from community involvement. Review these ideas with your team and choose your top favorites to support your community throughout the upcoming year.
Your community involvement action plan
- IDENTIFY five ideas from our list (or a few of your own) for your team to participate in.
- SHARE your involvement – links, photos, and/or videos – on your blog and social media networks.
We want to see how you’re putting our ideas to work! Share photos of your team getting involved in your community with any of these ideas on our Facebook page!